So it has been getting increasingly difficult for me to be able to get some quality time to do art recently… well alright so I am doing 3d and graphics at work… but there is nothing quite like the personal project that can take as long as it needs to and can go wherever you feel like
So I have managed to take charge of my partners tablet and got i finity painter installed on it and have started to delve into some photobashing during my commuteing time.
Has been a great week relaxing in Spain with family, so havent had the chance to do any work. I have been investigating about retopology something that has always concerned me. Im following the creature factory workflow workshop on the blender cloud and its amazing how much time you can spend simply stareing at how someone solvezs poligon problems. Should be pretty interesting to see what i come up with…. eventually!!!
I have been incorporating animation nodes into my daily work with great effect. I have found that revisions take so much less time as animation changes are done through number changes and not keyframes. Also they can be used to create initial geometry… which i do need to look into.
Recently I have been trying to work on a raising heat visualisation… trying to randomly animate growth of 600 + Lines… I traced particles to make the spline paths (with Btrace) and then used this node setup to randomly grow a separate spline along it.
Animation nodes takes an age to get used to but I do think the results are worth it.
So this weekend I wanted to get back into some procedural animation… Think that it will be useful for build ins and such. I was watching some vids of Zach Hixson to get a better feel for Animation Nodes as I still feel a little out of depth… But do feel Like Im getting the hang of it now…
In terms of look dev… Just wow… So responsive and updates immediatly as you change lighting… And with perfect clarity to boot…
Whilst openGL rendering was massivly fast… 1500 frames in under an hour… It lacked clarity well at least depth of field. Anamating straight out was taking about 30sec a frame and there was some loading and saving time per frame making it closer to 45sec to a min. So mabe something for me to look at there in terms of efficency as this would probably be the same for cycles… Any hoo hope you like this output…
So it has been a long couple of months… Should be getting a house soon yay and also I have got some full time work where I am now working in 3d and its looking good. So I heard that blender 2.8s beta has got more stable so this weekend I have decided to get my hands dirty.
The speed updates to cycles makes look development an absolute breeze… And luckily asset management and speed flow are working in 2.8 so modelling is awsum too.
The UI update took a while to get used too but as soon as you get it it works like a dream… Great update altogether… So for my home development work I think I will be making the switch… And hopefully in three months I will take it up at work…. Think that next stop will be Eevee testing…. Well let’s not get ahead of myself….
Testing out some procedural modeling and animation. The process is very quick meaning this entire animation from start to upload can be completed in a day… Including rendering – although that is down to some very un-complex shading.
Have been trying to find some time to look at a bit more animation and with the addition of people to my set renders I have been also been investigating rig systems and how to apply them and alter the deformation values.
I came up with this little animation idea to practice some rigging and rig animation… And generally see how far I can push my animation techniques.
I have been struggling with the lighting in the new set visuals as Cycles is such a different rendering system to cinema 4d. And I over read someone on a forum talking about the compositor… now while i have know that the compositor is there and I have dabbled I have never seriously had a good look at what it can do for me.
Remembering some basic colour correction ideas from my photography days I have worked out this little system to work out the lightest and darkest point and I’m still working out the best way to find the grey point… although this might want to be a floating point as you can burn out the lights that can be very useful for a more punchy look.
So this is a massively useful tool that I really shouldn’t have been overlooking… Will also see if I can find luts for this tool… or it may be fun to make my own system for look ups.